Queen in security scare after two intruders break into her Windsor estate – Mirror.co.uk

Loading ....

Two intruders sparked a major security scare when they broke into the Queen’s sprawling estate in Windsor, it is claimed.

It is said that the suspects – a 31-year-old man and his 29-year-old girlfriend – scaled fences at the Royal Lodge on April 25, close to where the 95-year-old monarch goes for walks with her corgis and rides horses.

The suspects were reportedly arrested in the lodge grounds, which includes the All Saints Chapel where the Queen attends Sunday service, as well as her son Prince Andrew’s home.

Security was said to be on “high alert” at the time, as just days earlier a woman was allegedly mistakenly allowed into the lodge grounds by guards.

It is said that she entered the Royal Lodge while Andrew, 61, was home, and was stopped by a member of staff.

Have you been affected by this story? Email webnews@mirror.co.uk.

Queen Elizabeth II poses after confering the honour of a knighthood upon 100-year-old veteran Captain Tom Moore
The Queen has been visiting the Royal Lodge grounds while shielding in Windsor
(Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Andrew was understood to have been home during the latest incident, in which police arrested two suspects in the lodge’s grounds and took them to Maidenhead police station, the Sun reported.

They were released on police bail pending further inquiries.

A source claimed to the newspaper: “This is an astonishing lapse. Everyone was on high alert after the first intruder, now this happens. Heads could roll. It is unforgivable.

“The couple wandered around for ages before anyone spotted them and police were called.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge anniversary pictures

Keep up to date with all the latest news from the Queen, Charles, William, Kate, Harry, Meghan, George, Charlotte, Louis, Archie and the rest of the family.

We’ll send the best Royal news directly to your inbox so you never have to miss a thing. Sign up to our newsletter here.

“Andrew was at home at the time. You have to wonder what on Earth is going on up there.”

Princess Diana’s former personal protection officer blasted the estate’s security as a “farce”, saying it made the widowed Queen “vulnerable”.

Thames Valley Police said officers were called to reports of two trespassers in the lodge grounds in Berkshire on the afternoon of April 25.

A spokeswoman for the Queen declined to comment.

A general view of Royal Lodge, Windsor
Prince Andrew and his ex Sarah Ferguson live together at Royal Lodge
(Image: Charlie Hall)

The Privy Purse, the Queen’s private income, provides private security at Royal Lodge.

The Met Police provides round-the-clock armed security to senior royals at their palaces and homes.

Andrew’s security was scaled back last year under cost-cutting measures and due to his withdrawal from royal duties following his disastrous interview with BBC Newsnight over his friendship with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

He still has Met Police personal protection, but the officers are no longer routinely armed.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, attends the Sunday Service at the Royal Chapel of All Saints
It is said that Andrew was home during two recent security scares at Royal Lodge
(Image: Getty)

The Queen continues to stay at Windsor Castle, just under four miles away from the Royal Lodge, while shielding from coronavirus following the death of her husband Prince Philip last month.

She is joined by about 20 members of staff in what has been dubbed HMS Bubble.

She has been away from Buckingham Palace since March last year.

The Queen had been shielding with husband Prince Philip, 99, until his death at Windsor Castle on April 9.

Meanwhile, a woman who claimed to be engaged to Andrew was able to wander around his home after being mistakenly let in by bungling guards on April 19, it is claimed.

Security are said to have even paid for the 43-year-old woman’s cab fare when she arrived at Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, where the Duke of York lives with ex-wife Sarah Ferguson.

The woman, thought to be a Spanish national, claimed she was there to have lunch with the duke, and spent about 20 minutes walking around the gardens, it is alleged.

It is said that she then entered the Grade II-listed building, where the Queen’s son was home at the time, until she was eventually held in the lobby after asking a worker where the duke was.

The woman allegedly told the staff member she was engaged to Andrew and was there to get married to him.

Thames Valley Police arrested the woman on suspicion of burglary and later de-arrested and sectioned her under the Mental Health Act.

The incident occurred two days after Philip’s funeral.

The Mirror has approached the palace and Thames Valley Police for comment.

 

Loading ....