Royal Family LIVE: Palace lashes out at Nicola Sturgeon after William and Kate controversy – Express

Loading ....

Kate and William “fully adhered” to all rules when they travelled 1,250 miles around the UK last month over a three day period to personally thank people who had made a difference during the covid pandemic. But their trip was marred by the First Minister publicly warning that the Scottish Government was concerned about the visit due to restrictions over essential travel in place at the time. Now, a Freedom of Information request made by Scottish newspaper The National has shown that Scottish government officials had also emailed the royal household several times to warn that the “major impact” the tour would bring.

One email sent on November 12 by the principal private secretary to Mrs Sturgeon, highlighted one of their stops was particularly concerning as it would involve being greeted by a bagpiper at Edinburgh’s main train station before then visiting the Scottish Ambulance Service.

A spokesperson for Duke and Duchess of Cambridge responded the couple followed the rules and were travelling for work purposes.

They told BAZAAR: “The same guidance we gave last month [before the tour] still stands.

“The Duke and Duchess were travelling for work purposes and all rules were fully adhered to.

“The trip was planned in consultation with the U.K., Scottish and Welsh governments.”

Mrs Sturgeon had told reporters before the couple’s arrival in Edinburgh at the time: “The Scottish government was advised about the intention to visit, and we made sure that the royal Household was aware, as you would expect, of the restrictions in place in Scotland so that could inform both the decision and the planning of the visit.

“Any more questions on that should be directed to the royal household.”

Daily Express royal correspondent Richard Palmer added the royals issued the rare statement to make it clear no rules had been broken. 

He said: “It’s clear that under the rules then in place, the Cambridges were allowed to travel to Scotland for work. It’s not often that such tensions come out in the open.”

FOLLOW OUR LIVE UPDATES HERE:

10.04am update: Sarah Ferguson takes inspiration from her ‘own sex life’ for new character in adult novel

Sarah, known among friends, fans and family as Fergie, is gearing up for the publication of her first historical novel.

And news she would step into the world of novels for adults after having become an established writer of memoirs and children’s books has set royal watchers and commentators into a frenzy.  

ITV’s Lorraine said this morning during her show: “Fergie has reportedly taken inspiration from her own sex life for her new book.” 

Speaking about how her first historical novel came together, the Duchess of York said the protagonist of her book, named after her great-great-aunt Lady Margaret Montagu Douglas Scott, came to life while she was researching her ancestry. 

She said: “Digging into the history of the Montagu-Douglas Scotts, I first came across Lady Margaret, who intrigued me because she shared one of my given names.

“But although her parents, the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch were close friends with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, I was unable to discover much about my namesake’s early life, and so was born the idea which became Her Heart for a Compass. 

“With real historical events and facts to hand, my imagination took over.

“I invented a history for her that incorporated real people and events, including some of my other ancestors.

“I created a friendship between my heroine and Princess Louise, Queen Victoria’s sixth child, and I drew on many parallels from my life for Lady Margaret’s journey.

“I have long held a passion for historical research and telling the stories of strong women in history through film and television.

“I am proud to bring my personal brand of historical fiction to the publishing world.” 

9.23am update: The Duke of Gloucester receives crucial update on Army Medical Services in covid response

THe Duke of Gloucester spoke to the Army Medical Services on the phone to hear about their work on the frontline of the covid pandemic. 

The Royal Family tweeted: “The Duke of Gloucester, Colonel-in-Chief, held a telephone meeting with Major General Alan Hawley from the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) this morning.

“The Duke received an update on the continued involvement of the @ArmyMedServices in the frontline COVID response.”

9.06am update: Meghan and Harry to be ‘centre of attention’ on Queen’s big day – ‘every move scrutinised’

Reports of the Sussexes attendance at the Queen’s 95th birthday celebrations have circulated which one royal expert has claimed might be “painful” for the Royal Family. 

Royal commentator Daniela Elser warned that when Meghan and Harry return to Buckingham Palace’s balcony they will be the “centre of attention”.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex shocked the nation last year when they chose to step down as senior members of the Royal Family.

As part of their deal with the Queen, Meghan and Harry agreed to have a 12-month review with the Palace which is due to take place in March.

Meghan and Harry have been invited by the Queen to join her for Trooping the Colour in June to mark Her Majesty’s official birthday, according to reports.

Royal aides told The Sunday Times that the Sussexes are expected to join the Queen at the event.

Trooping the Colour is usually held in public in London and could be the first time fans see the couple reunite with the Royal Family.

8am update: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s return to UK will cause ‘serious headache’ for Queen

Speculation about the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes’ return to Britain has erupted in recent weeks as the couple are due to review their Megxit arrangements in March. Meghan and Harry stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family last year to seek financial independence.

As part of their deal with the Queen, Meghan and Harry agreed to have a 12-month review with the Palace.

Reports of the Sussexes attendance at the Queen’s 95th birthday celebrations have also circulated which one royal expert has claimed might be “painful” for the Royal Family.

Royal commentator, Daniela Elser, wrote on news.com.au: “On a personal level, everyone from the Queen down would surely be thrilled to have Harry, Meghan and perhaps even Archie back, however, on a regal level, their re-entry into the rarefied royal ecosystem could pose a serious headache for the palace.”

 

Loading ....