Total Wipeout contestant dead after completing TV obstacle course and complaining of chest pains – The Sun

Loading ....

A CONTESTANT on the American version of Total Wipeout has died after completing the gruelling obstacle course.

The man was rushed to hospital after being seen to by on-set medics but was later pronounced dead on Wednesday, according to TMZ.

A Wipeout contestant passed away on the show's set on Wednesday

7

A Wipeout contestant passed away on the show’s set on WednesdayCredit: Instagram

Police sources told the outlet that they received a call for a male suffering from cardiac arrest.

As paramedics arrived at the game show, the on-site medical team had already began using a defibrillator.

The man reportedly completed the entire Wipeout course and began complaining of chest pains soon after.

The show is the US version of Total Wipeout, which first aired on the BBC fronted by Richard Hammond.

The show is the US version of former Saturday night favourite Total Wipeout

7

The show is the US version of former Saturday night favourite Total WipeoutCredit: BBC
Contestants have to navigate a gruelling  - and slippery - obstacle course

7

Contestants have to navigate a gruelling – and slippery – obstacle courseCredit: BBC

A new version fronted by Paddy McGuinness and Freddie Flintoff aired this year – with the pair adding their commentary to classic episodes.

Wipeout is said to have taken numerous precautions and safeguards to attempt to prevent harm to those who are cast on the series. 

According to sources, every contestant undergoes various medical exams before they are able to participate. 

In addition, production hires at least two paramedics, a safety producer and a paramedic coordinator to be on-set. 

The man - not pictured - suffered from 'chest pains' after doing the course

7

The man – not pictured – suffered from ‘chest pains’ after doing the course
Wipeout is intended to have contestants crash on the course

7

Wipeout is intended to have contestants crash on the course Credit: Getty Images – Getty

“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family,” the show’s network TBS said in a statement about the contestant’s death. 

The production company, Endemol Shine North America, added: ”We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

Wipeout is famously known for its risky stunts it asks of those who go on and even describes it self as “an extreme obstacle course that has been designed to provoke an unprecedented number of crashes, face plants and wipeouts.”

Risky obstacles are put in place for daredevils to try and complete

7

Risky obstacles are put in place for daredevils to try and complete Credit: Getty Images – Getty

Through a series of courses, one competitor is left at the end to claim the $50,000 (£37,122) prize. 

The last person standing on the series is awarded $50,000

7

The last person standing on the series is awarded $50,000Credit: Getty Images – Getty

The show first became a hit on ABC in 2008 but ended up being cancelled by the network in 2014. 

However, TBS announced this year it was rebooting the show as production is currently underway. 

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, the show will be taking a planned break. 

However, the show does continue to plan on resuming filming after the hiatus. 

The reboot will have famed wrestler John Cena, Nailed It’s Nicole Byer and model Camille Kostek as the trio of hosts.

Wipeout – Welcome Hosts John Cena and Nicole Byer
 

Loading ....